Thursday, June 30, 2011

Day with the Bri Bri indigenous tribe

Visiting the indigenous Bri Bri tribe in Puerto Viejo was a very eye opening experience. The leader of the community, Timutao, led us on a hike through the indigenous territory to a beautiful waterfall. Here he is,
The walk to the waterfall was not long but it was pretty difficult. It seemed more like rock climbing than hiking. Almost everyone in our group fell while doing this hike. Luckily, I did not because I was being super cautious with my camera in my hand. One girl even fell between my legs while I was hopping up on a rock and she fell through my legs. We all laughed and thank goodness no one got hurt. Once we arrived at the waterfall, it was not all down hill either. You had to climb out on the rocks to get into the swimming hole under the waterfall. While in the waterfall, Timutao wanted to pray over our group. He stood up on a rock and sang a prayer in his local Bri Bri language,

Soon after, we went to eat lunch with the indigenous people. They prepared us a lunch like they would eat on an average day and we were a little shocked by the way we would be eating it. The meal was served in a banana leave with no utensils. It was a very interesting meal but we tried it and enjoyed learning more about their culture. Here is a glimpse at our meal,

No comments:

Post a Comment