Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Service project at La Playa Chiquita Escuela

We had the privileged of doing a service learning project at La Playa Chiquita Escuela. They showed us what we would be helping with and introduced us to a few of the kids. Within the first 5 minutes of being there a sweet little girl named Maya kept staring at me. She didn’t speak any English so I tried using the Spanish I do know to communicate with her. After we finished talking a little she ran off and I was kind of confused. Then she started running back with a handful of flowers that she handed to me. I almost started crying because it was such a precious gesture.
Our tasks for the day were to help finish the new building that the school had just been given. We were working with cement, sanding and painting. I was able to do all three things but enjoyed making the cement structures in the windows the best.
For lunch the families of the school served us a lunch made especially by them. It was very good and the adorable little kids were coming in asking if we wanted seconds or more juice. The whole time I was at the school I had the biggest smile on my face. I have realized over the past few years that I am very passionate about children.
After our work was done at the school we had the afternoon free. A few of us decided to head to the beach to swim and try surfing again. The waves were VERY big today and there were even red flags in parts of the water where people weren’t allowed to swim. We went over to the more calm area in order to be safe. It was a very fun afternoon but after all of our activities we were beyond exhausted.
These were the size waves that we were riding. Sadly, I wasn't able to get any pictures of me surfing because we were all in the water but hopefully I can get someone to take some on La Playa Samara!

No comments:

Post a Comment