Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Moonlight hikes and nights in the jungle

We headed back to the jungle for a few days after Puerto Viejo and it was not an easy change of scenery. Once we got use to the beach, surfing and lighting, it was hard to go back to the secluded jungle. Luckily, we are only going back for 3 nights before heading to La Playa Samara. I should not hate on being in the jungle because we loved it at first but once we got to explore the Caribbean coast here in Costa Rica, it was hard to leave.

Sleeping and hanging out in the jungle has tested me in many ways. Before this trip I was pretty scared of even the smallest of bugs. Now I realize that bugs and insects are the last thing I need to be worrying about. We walked out of our bungalow today to see an eye lash viper snake sitting underneath our hammock. This is a poisonous snake that could potentially kill us if we got bite and did not get to the hospital immediately. Here is the group that all came running when we saw it,


Needless to say, I have gained more bravery than I ever thought I would. I do enjoy waking up to the monkey noises and watching them in the trees. We went on a night hike through the jungle with just our head lamps and we were able to see some sloths and monkeys then too. Before this trip I don’t think someone could have paid me to go into the jungle with just a head lamp on to simply see animals that would potentially scare me to death. I have now conquered some of those fears although I still get a little nervous being out in the dark jungle.

No comments:

Post a Comment