Thursday, May 26, 2011

Stepping Outside My Comfort Zone

Many people close to me were a little surprised by my choice to go to Costa Rica for my study abroad trip. With all the incredible trips and countries to go to, people did not understand why me (being the girly person I am) would choose hiking, bugs and humidity over wine and museums in places such as Italy. Another shocking factor was that I was going with no one I had ever met before. Going to a place I have never been, experiencing a culture I am not use to and spending everyday with people who are not currently a part of my life is a little scary but that is what I want. I choose this trip because I want to test my independence and grow as a person without the societal pressures that come from your family, friends, school and community. Being in another country, doing things I never thought I would or could do and being separated from the people that I love, will hopefully allow me to see what life is like away from the comfort of what I know. On my trip to Costa Rica, I look forward to the new friendships I will make with my group as well as the people in Costa Rica. Our group is pretty diverse which I think will be great for us to all become friends with people we may not have crossed paths with while at UGA. I hope to broaden my view of cultures aside from my own by not just learning about them but by communicating and working hands on with the locals in Costa Rica. I am excited about trying new things such as surfing and zip lining through the rain forest and I hope that my group and I stay healthy and safe while abroad. I hope you enjoy following me on my adventure to Costa Rica where the unknown will be present everyday.

1 comment:

  1. yayyy so excited for you! i can't wait to read about all of your crazy adventures! stay safe love you!

    ReplyDelete